Sunday, April 25, 2010

PADDLEBOARDING AT LAKE AUSTIN SPA, TEXAS










Many people come to the Lake Austin Spa (http://www.lakeaustin.com/luxury-spa-resort.php) in Texas’ legendary Hill Country to mellow out. Not me – I came to try a new sport called stand-up paddleboarding, similar to surfing because the board is like a surfboard – just a little longer and wider; and like a surfboard, you ride standing up, balancing on your legs. The only difference is that whereas in surfboarding, you want the waves to carry you in, with paddleboarding, you can do it on a calm lake or river because the paddle is your propulsion. The sport is said to have originated in Polynesia and then moved to Hawaii, just like surfing. And while the sport is still in its infancy, it’s growing, especially in California and Florida. The best way to get started is to take a lesson (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/paddleboarding.html)

“Just think of your body as headlights,” said my Lake Austin Spa paddelboard instructor, Sandy. “You have to stay forward, because if you turn sideways you’ll fall right into the water.” This was not a good day to be capsizing – the lake was around 60 degrees. It was raining and the outside temperature was 50 something. Not only were the winds were gusting to around 35mph, but there were little whitecaps on the water, and it was drizzling. Sandy looked out at the lake. “Maybe we better cancel,” she suggested. But this was my last day at Lake Austin Spa, my only chance to try it.


I thought of the photos I’d seen in magazines of Jennifer Aniston, Matthew McConaughey and Pierce Brosnan paddleboarding and grinning from ear to ear. No way was I canceling. Besides, worse case scenario, I’d have a great core workout. You have to bend your knees the entire time, so it’s like doing one continuous squat; and because you switch the paddle from side to side on each stroke, it’s a killer upper body workout.

We started on the dock. I went from being on my hands and knees to a slight jump up. She showed me how to paddle on land. Then Sandy put my board in the water and held on as I first, crawled on to it, then stood on the water. It was easier than being on a Bosu ball. I bent down, picked up my paddle, stood again without falling and began to stroke, switching from hand to hand. Soon I was flying down the lake, it was that simple – of course, the wind was with me. When Sandy suggested we turn around, which you did by paddling only to one side, as in canoeing, we were against the wind. My paddleboard bobbled up and down in the rough water and I bent my knees more to stay afloat. “Get on your knees,” Sandy said. “You’ll be able to pull harder with your arms.” Good thing I got down because the wind and waves both picked up. It was like fighting through a hurricane. I’d paddle one stroke forward and the wind would blow us three strokes back. Could I make it back?

Patrick, in charge of water sports at Lake Austin suddenly appeared in a motor boat. “You okay? You want a tow?” he called.

“A tow?” I laughed. “Hey! We’re strong women! We’ll make it.” I kept on paddlng, my arms aching, my body shivering. And finally we reached the shore. I pulled my board out of the water and looked at the rough water. I’d done it! I could have bailed but I’d made myself do it.

“Good job,” said Sandy.

“In my next life I’m coming back as a gondolier,” I chuckled.

No comments:

Post a Comment